Your Ad Here

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Turning an old wireless router into a wireless access point

  In my lan party essentials blog I mentioned a router I turned into a wireless bridge.  I chose this option because the xbox wifi adapter is $100 for each Xbox.  For $20 you can turn an older router into a bridge and give 4 xboxes a wireless internet connection.
    The first thing I did was buy an old router of craigslist  (Ebay has good prices aswell). Now you need to make sure the router is flashable and compatible with dd-wrt in the supported devices list. Mine is a Linksys wrt54g, probably the most popular router for this kind of project. (note:I used 2 browsers and when it didn't load right in the first browser I tried the second. switching back and forth worked good.)
    Once I followed the directions to get it installed, I changed the settings to bridge to my wireless gateway.  I followed these instructions.  Worked great for my AT&T  U-verse.

For U-verse the gateway IP is 192.168.1.254, so use this in place of 192.168.1.1

No comments:

Post a Comment