Your Ad Here

Friday, February 5, 2010

Dell OEM XP on a Non Dell PC

After the demise of my Dell laptop I needed to salvage what I could. I saved the hard drive and put it in an USB enclosure. All the other hardware was a loss so whats left? It has a legit XP PRO key right on the bottom.
Some of you may already know this but it was news to me. The OEM keys that large manufacturers put on their machines are not in the range of keys that work with off the shelf copies of the XP software. This is apparently part of the EULA so the software dies with the machine.
I researched google for a day trying to find a work around and couldn't find any useful info. So I found an ISO of the company's OEM install disk and I expanded it into a folder with my Ubuntu(Linux) machine using the archive manager(Aparrently ISOBuster works for windows). I then used nLite (windows application) on the expanded folder to create a usable boot disk of the folder I created. I'm sure there are other ways to do this but this worked perfectly for me. I only use this for legitimate purposes, key from a machine that I own for my own use.
I can use this disk to reinstall on machines with out all the extra OEM garbage manufacturers like to install on their PCs.

2 comments:

  1. I understood every word, ahem. Good stuff, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect for all the useless old dells lying around i paid money for those keys and now i can keep using them

    ReplyDelete